Friday, July 20, 2007

fell in some dirt

July 20

I spent a really interesting day in the Kibera slum with some people from a clinic there who were distributing food to HIV patients on antiretrovirals who needed nutritional support. I feel like my back is almost broken after lugging all that food around though. The slum itself is massive- about a million people living there, all crammed together in these tiny little shacks amongst dogs, laundry, goats, children, shops, and garbage absolutely everywhere. It good to see though, since a lot of the patients who come into the clinic come from similar living situations. All of the children say "How are you?", and follow you around for a bit. I am exhausted now though, not just from the walking and food-carrying (and the early start), but I think more because the whole scene was very overwhelming. I stopped by the clinic after, and on my walk back on the dirt road beside a busy street I wiped out :( It was actually pretty funny because it's so dirty and dusty I literally got covered in dirt. I look like a wreck.. it was a bit embarrassing. So I am going to go home and clean up and hopefully have a bit of a nap before heading out for dinner tonight with some friends.

No comments: