Monday, July 2, 2007

June 24, 2007

When I arrived at the airport last night at about 10:00, I was expecting to meet with a ride that had been arranged to pick me up- apparently they were going to be holding a sign with my name on it. What I wasn’t expecting, was to walk out of the luggage area to face about 100 people holding tiny illegible signs. I was feeling a little self conscious with everyone staring at me. After walking through the crowd a few times, I still couldn’t find my ride. Tourist and taxi workers quickly caught on to this and started harassing me to sign up with their company. After speaking to a few airport security workers I determined which taxi company was the “safe” and official airport taxi- and signed up for a ride to my hostel. The taxi was more of an old beat up car with what looked to be half-chewed seat belts and zebra print seats.
I arrived at Flora hostel by about 11:30. It was pitch black outside, so all I could see of the hostel was a big gate, with two intimidating guards in big dark hoods patrolling it. I got out of the taxi to speak to one of the guards about my reservation, expecting to be let right in. What happened instead was that the guard told me they did not have my information and therefore I could not stay there. I would have to find somewhere else for the night. This is when things got a little scary. I was standing on a pitch black street in a city that I know very little about except that it is “dangerous”, with a zebra car as my only transportation, standing on the wrong side of the gate. I eventually convinced the guard to at least let me and my belongings into the driveway of the hostel where I could show him my booking confirmation and any other documentation that would help. After muddling through a bunch of my papers, and making a few phone calls, I was eventually allowed to stay… so I was put up in a room attached to the church… I am living at a nunnery.

No comments: